Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Last Day at BUSM

It is my last day at Brian Utting today. I am sad, I am happy, I am a mixture of emotions and salad dressing. Just had my exit interview, who comes up with these questions I tell ya? I wish Brian could have been there. There were many thing I'd like to have said to him.

I have less and less computer time these days. My upkeep of both of my blogs has slacked greatly because of it. So much billing work to do, which only compounds my lack of real computer goof off time. I figure I'll get caught up on a lot of things after my surgery.

It's been a varied and interesting week. Ly and I went to see King Kong on Christmas eve. What a great movie. It's insane what they can do with animation these days. This monkey was one of the most emotive things I've seen on the screen. And, normally, I think of Andrian Brody as a thin waif of a dude, but damn if he wasn't one hot number in this movie. Peter Jackson did it up. He just knows how to make a good blockbuster.

Christmas was a hit. We had about 10 people over throughout the day. Ly made his breakfast pizza, which was a hit. We drank homemade Irish Creme, ate tons of food (I made my white trash taco salad later in the day), watched a gazillion movies. Santa brought us a good round of flicks this year. We got Murderball, Ong Bak The Thai Warrior, Angel, Season One, and the City of Lost Children on DVD. People relaxed, moved in and out of sleep, lounged, chatted, and basically slothed around all day. It was delightful. Ly had most of the day off yesterday. He didn't have to be to Gaelsong until 6pm last night. So we got to sleep in two days in a row. This next weekend, he has two whole days off in a row. I think we are planning on going out to my friend M's house for New Year's. They live about an hour and a half outside of town. They live on a lake. There will be fireworks at midnight, drinking and carousing, relaxing, and getting out of the city. This will be nice considering the next weekend is my surgery.

M was going to be able to come out for my surgery, and now it turns out she won't be able to. I am bummed, but what are you going to do? I think I have enough babysitters here to go around. Still though, one of these days, it will be nice to have a visit that is just she and I, and not filled with a gazillion other people. It makes me wish my mother could be here.

Speaking of my mother, she was feeling a bit blue on Christmas. I need to call her and see if she is feeling better. Her husband, my step-father, apparently never gets her a fucking Christmas present? How is that? I mean one year, she said he got her a salted nut roll? WTF? I'd be like, I got your salted nutroll right here, now get the hell outta my house. I mean shit, it doesn't take much to make a lady feel special. Do something for Christ's sake.

I have many thoughts swirling in my head about surgery, about leaving Brian Utting. I am here today, and it's my last day here. I've been here 3 1/2 years. It seems like so much longer. I'm very nervous about leaving, and very excited. So many changes coming around the bend. Just hope I'm nimble enough to traverse the corners.

I'm feeling very discombobulated, like I don't know my ass from my elbow.

4 comments:

amandak said...

Wow, last day. What a milestone.

I'm so sorry about the coming and then not coming thing. I really feel awful, and wouldn't blame you a bit if you were more than a little pissed.

It sounds like your New Year's will be awesome. I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to mine. Some strange arrangements had to be made, but I'll fill you in on that in a more discrete forum. ;)

I have a good feeling about the surgery, and the new phase of your working life. It feels like many things are taking a turn toward the new and better.

I wish you were home so we could talk on the phone right now, there are so many things, and I don't want to blab them all here.

Don't worry too much about the discombobulation, I suspect it's just your energy rearranging itself into its next incarnation. And that's a good thing, I think.

Missuz J said...

The ass is that thing below your waist dear.

Sounds like the times they are a changin'. Sounds canned, but luck with your surgery, etc.

Not really saying what I feel here. Sufice it to say that I want good things for you.

hazel said...

how freeing it must feel to have this be your last day.

I wish I could drift in and out of sleep at someone's house. it sounds heavenly.

good luck on the surgery and happppppppy new year. I hope the new year finds your "step father" with a salted nut bag in his face.

Stine said...

MissuzJ, thanks for the thoughts. I'm not saying everything I really feel here either, and you know what, it's a damn shame all around. Perhaps someday. Please be well, and have a great New Year's.

And Patrice, thank you SO much for giving me the visual of my step father's "salted nut roll".

:)