Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Testy testy

The average person only gets 7 right. This is based on
U.S. info, so use all lobes of your brain. This can be
more difficult than it looks -it just shows how
little most of us really see!

There are 25 questions about things we see every day
or have known about all our lives. How many can you
get right? These little simple questions are harder
than you think. It just shows how little we pay
attention to the commonplace things of life.

RULES: Put your thinking caps on. No cheating! No
looking around! No getting out of your chair! No using

anything on or in your desk or computer!

Can you beat 20?? (The average is 7) Write down your
answers and check answers (on the bottom) AFTER
completing all the questions. REMEMBER-NO CHEATING!!!

It doesn't matter if you cheat, actually, because if

you have to cheat, then you don't know the answer, thus,

you've already missed the question. BE HONEST!!! That

means no looking at your phone or anything on your desk...

Then, before you pass this on to your friends, change
the number on the subject line to show how many you
got correct. Forward to your friends and also back to
the one who sent it to you.


LET'S JUST SEE HOW OBSERVANT YOU REALLY ARE. - If
not, just have fun!

Here we go!


1. On a standard traffic light,is the green on the
top or bottom?

2. How many states are there in the USA? (Don't
laugh, some people don't know.)

3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?

4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup
label?

5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have
letters by them?

6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your
right or left leg? (Don't you dare get up to see!)

7. How many matches are in a standard pack?

8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or
white?

9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial? (Don't
look at that dial!)

10. Which way does water go down the drain, counter or
clockwise? (Get out of the bathroom!)

11. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run?

12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial?

13. On which side of a women's blouse are the buttons?

14. Which way do fans rotate?

15 How many sides does a stop sign have?

16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right
or left side?

17 How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?

18. How many sides are there on a standard pencil?

19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's
missing?

20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package?

21. On which playing card is the card maker's
trademark?

22. On which side of a Venetian blind is the cord
that adjusts the opening between the slats?

23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What
2 symbols bear no digits?

24. How many curves are there in the standard paper
clip?

25. Does a merry-go-round turn counter or clockwise?

__________________________________________________________


ANSWERS
1. Bottom
2. 50
3. Right
4. Blue, red, white, yellow, black & gold
5. 1, 0
6. Right
7. 20
8. Red
9. 87.7
10. Clockwise (north of the equator)
11. >From lower right to upper left
12. 12 (there is no #1)
13. Left
14. Clockwise as you look at it from the front.
15. 8
16. Left
17. 5
18. 6
19. Bashful
20. 8
21. Ace of spades
22. Left
23. * and #
24. 3
25. Counter

10 comments:

thelyamhound said...

I got 10. So I'm just barely above average.

Just a question: Do you know whether women do better than men on this one? I'm thinking of that doc we saw in . . . that one class back in college where they had a test wherein an individual was asked to wait in a room for the "tester" to arrive. When the "tester" showed up 20 minutes later, the individual was asked to describe the room. Women noticed damn near everything, taking about a half hour to name objects and colors, while men seemed to have barely noticed they were in a room at all ("Um . . . there were walls, right?").

The point being, in theory, that women tend to note details better than men in that sense. We could get into a "hunter/gatherer" discussion about that, but I don't know that I wanna go there; and it should be noted, in all fairness, that women have better senses statistically (i.e., more men need glasses and hearing aids). But I'd be curious to see how results on this test of observation broke down along gender lines.

Funny thing: I've changed, like, a dozen tires in my life and didn't even get the number of bolts right. I think I've always figured that I'd just keep removing them 'til there aren't any more.

Stine said...

I got 14 and have no idea how I did it. I guessed on the pencil question and got it right. The person that sent me the test didn't comment on any gender breakdowns. I'd be interested in anyone that sees this taking it though and posting whether they are male or female.

And I failed miserably on the tire question.

thelyamhound said...

Yeah, I guessed "4" on the tire question. I had 4 of the 6 colors on the Campell's soup can, so it seems like I should have gotten a half point. Same with the phone/letters thing (I knew about the "0" wasn't sure about the "1").

Still, 10s not bad. And if my theories on the gender breakdown are correct, a lot of men probably scored well lower than 7 to create that average. Which means I'm more observant than most men (duh!), less so than most women (um . . . duh!).

rob said...

Woo-HOOOOOOO!!!

21

That was fun. More of that please!

Stine said...

Well look at the big brain on Brad...

Actually, I'm very happy you got 21 Rob. I'm still trying to figure out which Rob you are though.

amandak said...

I got 11, but I'm officially questioning the fan question, because when I lay on my bed and look at the ceiling fan it is most definitely counter clockwise. I checked it after, I didn't cheat. So, do I get 12 then?

Stine said...

Mandy, there was discrepancy about the fan question amongst the persons that sent me the test. So for our purposes here, I say you get 12.

Kathryn said...

Fun! I only got 13 right. I know in my house we adjust the fan to turn one way when it's hot and the oposite way when it's cold. One blows and one sucks, as it were.

Stine said...

Katie...

"...one blows and another one sucks..."


A truer word was never spoken. That phrase has made my day, thank you.

hazel said...

19, 20 if you count the fan one. fun.