Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Liver Cleanse - Recap

Well I'm done with the cleanse now. Ly and I went to Wild Ginger for my first meal of the rest of my life. My God it was the tastiest thing I think I've ever eaten. We had fresh spring rolls with this spicy fish sauce, and pineapple sauce. We then had sea bass lettuce wraps - which were to. die. We finished that off with some mango pork. I had a bit of the pork, but I was feeling really full by that point. It was weird though, I could actually taste the oil in the fresh spring roll wrapper. We then went to the store to stock up on more fresh veggies, but this time, I picked me up some roasted red pepper hummus, and added some damn snow peas. I thought it was Christmas.

The practical things I've learned since being off the cleanse are: cheese gives me that histamine mouth thing like I get when I eat nuts. Different cheeses do that to different extents. Goat cheese, no big, Mozzarella ain't so bad, a piece of
havarti, then mild cheddar, and then Irish sharp cheddar when I got home, that combo woke me up at like 4:30, and I didn't get back to sleep the rest of the night, I had a headache, my tummy was growly, and it did me w.r.o.n.g. I am in mourning for my beloved cheese. To answer your question, yes, I AM going to still eat cheese, but I really wanna cut down, because I know my body functions better without it. One cup of white tea yesterday morning made me feel like I was 20 again, snorting phat lines of pure uncut white gold up the ol' schnoz, and hanging off the roof at Roosevelt University in Chicago (a story for another time).

I have lost approximately 7 pounds, about 3 belt notches, various inches; most notably on my arms, thighs, and ass. My skin is softer, and while not blemished to begin with, much more clear than when I began. Other than the disrupted cheese sleep, I sleep much better than I did before the cleanse, and get more bang for my sleep dollar, if you will. The sharpness of the pain in some of my main joints, including my neck, has diminished. My tummy is far less acid'y than before, my moods feel more stabilized, and I have much more energy than I did when I began. When I am awake, I'm awake, and I don't feel that muscle pull towards bed.

On the intangible level, I have learned that I actually DO have will power. I have also learned a bit about my relationship to food, and how & why I put it in my body(no cucumber jokes please). I have also learned that I can make, and keep a promise to myself.

I would recommend this or any other liver cleanse to anyone, WITH the caveat, that it should be attempted with the direct supervision of a health care provider of some sort. If you choose to do it, know your body's limits, do your research, and create something that will work with you, and your life.

6 comments:

thelyamhound said...

Congrats on finishing that journey, darling. Sorry the cheese isn't agreeing.

Now if I could just drop 7 pounds and a couple of inches around the waist . . .

NME said...

That is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. And congrats again on the willpower, the wisdom and the sense of accomplishment.

keda said...

i'm in awe.

and in deepest jealousy with the belt thingy.

but having left the fags and had no sex for over a month i'm expending as much will power as i can muster right now. and i don't see a clean liver in my immediate future.

i'll deal.

you are brilliant.

Stine said...

Keda, it took me a lot of will power to leave the fags too, but they don't miss me, much.

Oh wait, you mean ciggy's.

Anonymous said...

BIG CONGRATS!!

And so stinky about the cheese. That alone makes me fear going on a cleanse, to learn that cheese would does me bad too. :)

Christine said...

And yet one more thing twin sis...I cannot eat cheese either, at least of the cow variety. I have been dairy free for 4 years now, for the most part. Occasional little bits of dairy, but oh boy do I pay for them. Congrats on this accomplishment hon! It is a wonderful thing!!!