Tuesday, January 31, 2006

What did you want to be?

When you grew up? I was thinking about this question the other day. My "ideal" occupation has shifted over the last 25 or so years I've been thinking about this question.

My first recollection of wanting to pursue a career was the obligatory "doctor", "fireman" and/or "ballerina" answer we all gave when we were six. On second thought, nix that last one, I've never wanted to be a ballerina proper because I'm one big-boned Bessy, and somehow, I just knew it would never work out. Thank God I had the ballet classes I did though, or my mother's nom du jour of "my little bull in a China shop", would have really stuck for good. I remember being 9 or 10, it was summer,and I was laying outside looking up at the stars with my best friend J. I remember thinking that the stars were so cool. I remember wanting to be able to explore the vastness of the space I saw in front of me. It was my first inkling of wanting to be an astronomer. Of course continued science classes only fed that desire, and by 8th grade, I really wanted to study astronomy. This would later morph into a desire to study astrophysics, but I get ahead of myself. I did my science project in the 8th grade on black holes. The project itself sucked, but I learned a lot. I partially blame the woefully inadequate math teachers I had growing up.

Then came high school. I remember being a sophomore - we didn't have freshman at my high school because 9th grade was part of junior high. It was the last day we could change our classes before they stuck. I had a PE class I was dreading attending. I just wasn't ready to launch into PE my first semester at high school. I needed to get acclimated to the surroundings first. So the night before class change day my mother took me to see Real Genius. Yes, this is the Real Genius with Val Kilmer, and the cute little boy who was androgynous, circa 1985. I sat and watched that movie in awe. Keep in mind, I was a very niave 15-year old Mormon. I was hooked, I came home telling my mother that I was going to pursue acting. I mean how unfair is that? You hear all these stories of actors seeing Citizen Kane, or some brilliant Jack Nicholson performance back in '84, and these movies, the moments are what spurned them on to study the great skill of acting. Me, I see some half-rate teeny bopper flick, and I think I'm Laurence fucking Olivier.

The rest, they say, is history. This acting bug carried me through the remainder of high school, two stints at two different colleges - Roosevelt University, in Chicago, where I studied musical theater, and Southern Utah University, where I got my BA in psychology and theater.

Cut to 1999 in Seattle. Ly and I had lived here for 4 years at that point. I had my second thyroidectomy, my vocal cord got paralyzed, and in the midst of healing, and seeing different alternative healthcare practitioners, one of them introduces me to the Brian Utting school. I had found the bases of my life passion - bodywork. This is truly the reason I think I am here. I want to always act, and will do so when possible. My bodywork might morph into something else, but for now, it's a very nice friend to have.

7 comments:

thelyamhound said...

I can't really remember when I decided I wanted to be an actor. I always wanted to be a character, someone who would be noticed for what he was. Harrison Ford was probably my first "hero" in that sense; but he made me want to be an intergalactic smuggler or rogue archaeologist, not an actor. Acting ultimately seemed the only logical choice of profession for someone wanting to be a professional character, as I would learn quickly that a) there ARE no intergalactic smugglers (so far as we can tell) and b) archaeologists spend a lot of time reading and cleaning rocks with toothbrushes. As it turns out, acting, as a profession, offers very little of what I thought it would in that sense, while "acting", as an activity, can offer a wealth of such rewards, provided I focus on people with whom I want to work and projects that excite me. I actually feel very fortunate to have the project currently in my lap.

I think I'm still looking for my "body work", that place where my gifts and my philosophies meet human need. And maybe that's okay. Maybe it's okay if I never find it.

the beige one said...

HALF-RATE?!?

Dood, Real Genius kicked ass!

Missuz J said...

1st--Loved Real Genius.

2nd--When I was 5-7ish, rather than ballerina or fireman, I always said I wanted to be a clown.

3rd. I knew I wanted to teach by the time I was a senior in high school, but kind of stumbled into teaching at risk kids. I really think it's what I was born to do--at least right now. I tell my mom that it's the reason for my "mis-spent youth." Although, if someone offered me a job as a rock star, I'd take it in a second.

4th. So glad that you found your calling. You've made such a difference in so many lives with the work you do.

thelyamhound said...

Oh, I should also mention: I, too, loved Real Genius. Still one of my favorite Val Kilmer performances.

JJisafool said...

Your project on black holes sucked?

That is funny.

I wanted to be a lawyer for the longest time, and kinda wish I had stuck with it.

Then that fucker Tom Hanks* came along in Bosom Buddies and convinced me advertising would be fun, and now I have a bullshit advertising degree slowly yellowing around here somewhere.

Now I want to be a court jester.

(* - Somehow, it just doesn't seem right to try and blame anything on Peter Scolari)

~A~ said...

Well acting and singing was never in my cards. Rob got all that talent. Unless the part called that I turn 20 shades of red and break down in tears, I don't do well in front of large groups.

When I was little I wanted to be a veterinarian. As I got older I wanted to be a genetic engineer until I decided that play God wasn't for me and I joined the military because I wanted to be a police officer. HEH! As a MP I learned that I really have a strong dislike and no patience for stupid people.

Now I'm back "at school" to be a herbalist. Hoping to have my own lil shop with walls full of jars. There's no place that has a decent stock of herbs with in 40 miles of me. I don't think we have a decent massage therapist here. I've seen a couple signs but I have not inquired about them.

I want comfy chairs and couches in my shop so people can come in and drink tea. No coffee, we don't lack Starwhores or other wannabe coffee shops here in BFBL.

I want a place I can mix my "potions" and be a know-it-all and have people give me money to do so.

I want that warm fuzzy feeling that you have of knowing what you're supposed to be doing and helping people the way I'm supposed too. Lord knows law enforcement wasn't it. *LOL*

lonna said...

When I was in kindergarten I wanted to be a Cub Scout leader, until my mom told me that it wasn't a job because she didn't get paid. Then I wanted to be a bus driver. Probably because my dad's father had been one and I had heard stories about him. I did a report in 4th grade about being an astronomer too. I read everything I could get my hands on related to the skies. By the time I applied to colleges at 16 I knew I wanted to be a psychologist working with teenagers. Like most psych majors I figured I would become a therapist. Instead I have become a researcher/teacher. I'm still figuring out where I'm going from here.

I just adore Real Genius. I am trying to convince Ethan to see it because there really is some truth to the students in pompous professors' labs. Some of the stuff they show is so much like what some of our friends went through in grad school