Monday, January 16, 2006

A baked potato in my neck?

So I just got back from my post-op follow-up with my surgeon. For those of you that get queasy, I'm going to talk some medical stuff for a sec, so close your eyes. So the doc was reading me the pathology report, and said my goiter was as big as a baked friggin potato. WTF? I can't believe I've been carrying that around in my neck. No wonder swallowing was a bit difficult. He said the operation was really bloody and it took them a long time to cut through the scar tissue to even get to the muscles he cut underneath the scar tissue. He said they did something different than what they normally do, in that they cut into the goiter, and remove the goiter from the inside out. Apparently this is most effective in protecting the larygeal nerve. He did say they left a small portion that attaches to the nerve - which is fine by me. I'm damned if that is going to grow into another goiter in my lifetime. Anyway, the pathology of it all fascinates me. I almost asked them to save my goiter and give it to me, but then I wonder exactly how sick that would make me. I know some people at the massage school who would be very interested in seeing something like that.

My doc also wouldn't let me out of jury duty next week? How lame is that? He said sitting around in a jury room all day seems like the perfect rest and relaxation. He's a hard-ass, but I like him a lot and he makes me laugh.

Anyway, just found all the medical mumbo jumbo interesting - especially hearing him compare it to a baked potato. Who knows maybe at some point, they will find some grilled salmon in my liver, or a nice head of broccolli in my ass.

5 comments:

rob said...

Ass broccoli is the best tasting kind of broccoli.

lonna said...

I had ten gall stones the size of peas in my gall bladder when it was removed. I had wanted to seem them too, but thought that they wouldn't let me, so I never bothered to ask.

NME said...

WHOA! That is insane. It must be kind of cool to be without that potato now. Sheesh. Boy, I bet that thing looked gross.

hazel said...

baaahahahaa!!!! broccoli in the ass!!!

man, I wish you had pictures, though. that stuff is interesting. I'm so glad you're okay. just in time for jury duty. bush the dub would be proud of you for "servin yer cuntry".

the beige one said...

or a nice head of broccolli in my ass.

You act as if this would be a rare occurrence. Ly doesn't play all of his cards close to the chest, you know.