Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Moments with Benji

Ok, I have a confession, well actually, I have a few confessions.

First of all, I am completely enamored with Benji Schwimmer ever since I saw him win the Season 2 Finale of So You Think You Can Dance, which is simply the best reality competition on television, including my beloved American Idol. Secondly, sometimes I spend more time on my space than I'd like. Thirdly, I think I'm a closet triple threat.

Ok, maybe not so much that last one.

So one day, I'm bored, I'm looking through my space, as ya do. I find Benji's page. I find myself asking to be added as a friend, he friends me. I then find myself not so secretly putting him #4 on my friends list, le sigh. The next day, as I'm reading about his love of the dance, the book Clifford the Big Red Dog, and his church, I find myself directed to his blog. I begin reading. I immediately feel guilty, saying to myself things like, "Stine, you know that if Jose knew, he would not let you live it down"AND, "you know Ly will just look at you, smile that sly Cheshire Cat smile and do the I'm-glad-she's-a-goofy-chick-has-sex-like-a-linebacker-cuz-she's-a-friggin-geek look." I read on.

You see, Benji is a Mormon. When I found this out as I watched him run away with last season, I felt a latent kinship to him. I felt as though he were "my people". Even though I am now a Nichiren Buddhist, there is a part of me that will always consider people in the LDS church, "my people". But back to Benji. I read through a post on his blog called "Human, part 1" in which he rallys support for his sister, Lacey, who is currently in the running to win the Season 3 finale of SYTYCD. In this post, he also rails against onliners who have thrown insults at him and his family because of "supposed" favoritism of Lacey due to his Season 2 win. And as if to cement the idea of how much he and I have in common, I read this referencing one of his likes, "adding sauce to every description of something really good or bad like "that's lame....SAUCE" or " totally coolsauce!" The boy loves SAUCE! I LOVE sauce! Can you believe it? Jesus! Ok wait a minute, he comes later.

See, Mormons like sauce; ketchup and mayo mixed together, honey mustard dressing, jello and whipped cream, gravy. If it's runny and creamy, we LOVE it! I love it! I must have sauce on pretty much everything. But I digress.

I then start to read Benji's blog entry "Human, part 2 (change and growth)". Awe, check out the title. Seriously man, the dude is working on his shit. I think it's the sweetest thing I've ever heard as I read on. He starts off typing the lyrics of Run to You-lyrics on www.metrolyrics.com. Now I don't know if that means "metrosexual" or not, but again I digress. He then types
these phrases:

"wow benji...you look different"
"im very disappointed in you" "you're changing"
"we used to really love you"
"hollywood, and the world have gotten to you"
"bring back the old benji"
"it's sad to see you're giving in"

The Mormons, and hard core religious folks are TOTALLY giving him shit, talking about how he's sold out, he's given in to they ways of the world. He's gotten shit about wearing "fake" earrings, about dying his hair blonde, having 5 o'clock shadow, and not behaving in an appropriate manner befitting someone who is supposed to be an example to children.

I then think, ok, these are all BIG generalized societal indicators that Benji may be of a more liquid sexuality than some of his critics, but leave the poor kid alone. His hips can shake mountains around you. Benji went on a Mormon mission, talked in his blog about loving his Saviour, wanting to set a good example for kids today, has a charity that HE started to take dance to children around the world. I mean seriously people, what else does this guy have to do to get the gold Celestial star?

Apparently others accused him of looking strung out and drugged up. I wonder if they know what sadists dancers are regarding their schedules and bodies. He toured the country, did classes in China, taught in Norway, and did the talk-show circuit. The boy probably had jet-lag. And ya know, if they think Benji looks strung out and drugged up, they obviously haven't met any 20-something actors.

I felt myself wanting to bundle him up in a soft down blankee, bolster that beautiful body that can move like the wind, and sing him a lullaby.

Instead, I posted a comment on his blog. Yes, I even ranked and gave the full 2 kudos to his post. I told him that the Saviour had blessed him with CRAZY talent, and that he is fulfilling his destiny. I am hooked. I feel like his presence, if only virtual, completes me.

I don't care if my boy is Mormon, gay, blonde, brunette, pierced, tattooed, or what, he can slide 10 feet across a dance floor in one move. He can pirouette to make my soul sing, he can swing his partner, around, and around, and around. And he is sharing that talent with the world and can move like no one can. I love me my Benji, and I have finally decided, I don't care who knows it.

7 comments:

The Rookie said...

ROFLMBO! Methinks you will never completely outgrow your Corey Hart days. First Daniel Radcliffe? Now this Benji boy? The venus flytrap bangs and leg warmers of yesteryear still reside deep down inside of you. I am considering getting you a subscription to Teen Heartthrob Beat Bop (or whatever they call it these days).

And take the following for what is worth and know that I mean it with all the love in the world: please don't automatically associate these types of criticism with all LDS people. I'm not saying there are not individuals in every walk of life (Christian, Atheist, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Liberal, Conservative, etc.) who are biased, close-minded, and need to work toward accepting lifestyles different from their own and to "live and let live." I really have no opinion on Benji. I do, however, have an opinion on the things we say to and about others. I personally try to avoid criticizing someone's character. Period.

I think what I found offensive about your comment was the "chunking" effect. You see, I am what you deemed "hardcore religious folk." While I, like you, don't agree with the nature of the criticism made about the gentleman, I don't think it is appropriate to purport that "The Mormons, and hard core religious folks are TOTALLY giving him shit." I don't appreciate being lumped in this group because of my religious preference. Could you call them naysayers?--absolutely. Could you call them the peanut-gallery, why not? But to associate an entire body of people and a religion with these acts is, in my opinion, inappropriate and offensive.

That's my two-cents. I do realize your intent was not to offend but to embrace. I agree with your intent wholeheartedly! I merely took issue with your word choice. I felt that, for my own sake, it needed saying.

Stine said...

B, I'm glad you stated your opinion, but the fact of the matter is that it wasMormons, and some other hard-core religious right types, that were making the comments to Benji. I referenced a small handful of people, not an "entire body of people" which is what you apparently gathered from my post.

I'm sorry you were offended, but I have really tamed my blog down now that all my family is on blogger, and I wasn't "lumping" you personally in with anybody. I worked really hard to make my post the most family accessible I could and still be me. I mean shit man, I'm not going to downplay or not talk about my experiences with the church, or someone else's experiences with certain church members and my opinions of such just for fear that someone in my family may relate too much to what I am saying and be offended.

I never purposely "lumped" you into to any group B. The fact of the matter is that you just happen to belong to one of the groups mentioned. But, to be very clear, it was never you to which I was referring.

And as an additional fyi - I'm also one of those hard-core religious types, just not hard-core in a Western Christian religion - that's the only difference.

amandak said...

Oh, you are HILARIOUS!

I probably shouldn't say anything, but in MY reading, I think it was pretty clear that you were talking about "The Mormons" that were commenting on that particular site, not ALL Mormons.

thelyamhound said...

Anyone remember when the movie Basic Instinct came out, and gay rights groups were all up in arms about the portrayal of bisexuals as murderous vixens? Well, I do, and I still point to that when I speak to the failures of political correctness. Soon enough, no stories can have villains--or even soft targets of gentle mockery--if we're gonna bristle at the mere mention of their attributes.

If I read an article describing a bald guy robbed a liquor store, I'm not going to assume that this impugns all bald guys. When, during the WTO riots here in Seattle, articles mentioned that "anarchists" had thrown something through the window of a Starbucks, I didn't assume it reflected on all who might claim sympathy with the long tradition of political anarchism. Mention of Islamic terrorists needn't imply that all Muslims are terrorists.

Religion/religiosity was relevant in this instance, because the participants in the acts described acted from a religious standpoint. This doesn't mean that all, or even most, Mormons would do such a thing; it simply illustrates that all, or most, of the people doing this were Mormon and/or highly religious (otherwise, what moral concern would they have regarding his going Hollywood?).

'Stine: You're an even bigger geek than I am. No, really.

the beige one said...

I'm confused...can I call you a fag hag or not?

thelyamhound said...

TBO - You calling me a fag? Oh, wait . . .

ALL - Sorry 'bout the typos, but blogger makes me do a little dance (make a little love, get down tonight)to edit a mere word or two on a responsive post, so we'll just have to live with 'em.

Missuz J said...

Hey Sister White!

Tee Hee. Did Mand tell you about the not-so-Mormon developments on the mom-front here in CC?

Oh--and I misplaced, but then found Son's of Provo. Laughed my ASS off. Particularly the "Sweet Spirit" song.