Monday, February 06, 2006

Boo Ya!

I have no idea what that means.

Hello, hi, high, how are ya? Ok, feeling a little amped/wacked/energetic/silly today - just warning ya.

Man let's see, what do I want to talk about. Oh yeah, I'll start off with Sunday. Ly and I had a lovely day on Sunday. We got up at an much earlier hour than we normally do on Sunday (when Ly doesn't have to work), and went to KRG. It's Kosen Rufu Gongyo, a large monthly SGI/Buddhist gathering. It was held at the Culture Center in Tukwila. A really kick ass chick was getting her Gohonzon Sunday. A Go Ho What? We then helped her enshrine it in her apartment. It was a lovely sunny day, and the first one in a long while here in Seattle. We went to a little Greek place in Fremont for some lunch. We then jumped on a bus headed for the student clinic. We both had massages, which were lovely. Then it was on to downtown to pick up a script, and then home to finish watching the rest of the SuperBowl (yes folks, it DID happen, Ly and I watched sports, and drank beer). Bless our hearts, they did real gud, our boys. All I can say, it is very funny to watch and listen to two people watch football who normally, don't know shit about sports really. I tend to know more than the Hound does. Anyway, I got real pissed when the Steelers intercepted the ball and turned it around to shortly thereafter, make a touchdown. I assume these emotions I was feeling are normal, they are just new and frightening to me, if you know what I mean. After we watched the game, there was movie watching, barely able to catch your breath pre-Olympic sex, and some cards - not necessarily in that order. It was a good day.

In other news, I got a mesage from the director of the play I just auditioned for, and didn't get in. Turns out that the woman who she cast as the mother, got cast in another show at a larger theater here in town. Long story short, I'm playing the mother. Her name is Ruth. A synopsis can be read: Heyah... Funny that we've been watching Six Feet Under (thank you Netflix), and I've really been relating lately to Ruth, the mother character. Anyway, I'm excited about that. Hopefully the schedule won't be that hard to work out.

Oh yeah, I remember the football question I was going to ask the blogverse, so when it's 4 & 2, why do they always punt? I mean couldn't they feasibly get 2 yards easily in one down?

7 comments:

the beige one said...

Yes it's feasible, but odds come into play, especially if you're not sure your runner (keeping it simple here) is able to get the job done. Seattle's runner, Shaun Alexander, could possibly make that run.

The deal is, though, if you don't make those two yards, the other team takes over where the ball is. Whereas, if you punt, they would, theoretically, have to start farther from their touchdown area (aka, their "endzone").

I wish I knew as little about the game as to only be pissed off by the Steelers' interception late in the game.

>>le sigh<<

hazel said...

fuckin STEALers.

anyways, I love LOVE love 6FU. ruth's character is one of my favorites. congrats!

NME said...

I'm very intrigued by your Buddhism. Maybe you could talk more about it? What brought you to Buddhism? How do you practice? How has it changed your daily life?

Stine said...

Nme: A brief history of my ascent into Buddhism. I was introduced to it by Mr. Beige One himself. I started chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo as a vocal exercise for my paralyzed vocal cord. I used the vibration of the sound to do internal bodywork on myself. It was very scientific in my mind. I also noticed that after awhile during a chanting session, my brain waves would change, I would become more relaxed, focused, and less anxious about everything. I did that on and off for while. Pretty soon, the time that I chanted turned into a time that I could reflect on my life, my mind, what was going on in my head etc. There then came a point while chanting, that I started to think of specific things I wanted to create in my life i.e. getting cast in a musical by people who know nothing of what happened to my vocal cord, get a new job at the chiropractor's I currently work for etc. Then lo and behold, things I thought about, and focused on during chanting started to materialize. I got cast in the musical, I got the new job, I changed my entire job situation, I got another new job, my anxiety lessened IMMENSELY, my interpersonal relationships improved, my new surgery was a success and my voice is better off because of it, I now have a leadership position in the Buddhist organization, a few friends have asked me about chanting and Buddhism, and have begun to investigate for themselves, and I just got cast in a new show.

In other words, I've gotten tons of benefit from this practice. Don't get me wrong, life still sucks, often. But this Buddhism and chanting has given me the tools to pretty much overcome and create anything I want in this life.

I've read a lot about quantum physics, string theory etc., and what I have experienced in this Buddhism corresponds very closely to what I know about energy and matter.

It's all about the law of cause and effect. Science has proven that an atom can materialize as a wave or a particle, based on the perspective of the observer. In other words, it's all about creating my mind to go where I want it to go. It has made me look at the problems I experience in life, and see them as benefits for my growth and enlightenment, and the growth of those around me.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at stine69@gmail.com, and be sure to check out the other pages of the SGI website under the link I posted in my last post.

Missuz J said...

Sounds like a lovely Sunday. I asked E the same punt question. Seems to me (football expert extrordinaire) that since no one would really be expecting it, running those 2 yards would be a pretty clever thing to do.

NME said...

Thanks Stine. I never really thought of Buddhism being so akin to visualization. Are all practices like that or just sects?

We got a Muppet CD this weekend I was telling Mark that I never realized that the song "Can you picture that?" from the Muppet Movie was all about visualization. Those muppets are deep.

Stine said...

Yeah, I guess it is a lot like visualization. Many other sects believe that you need to go through a priest in order to reach enlightenment. As far as I know, and I'm still very new at this, this Buddhism is unique in that it posits that everyone can attain their own enlightenment. Our desires, difficulties, hopes, fears, etc. ARE the key to that enlightenment.