Thursday, June 15, 2006

I'm an addict

and yes, insert your noun of preference here. Whatever will make you giggle the most.

I've come to the conclusion that I am a reality show addict. I'm not the type of addict who will watch every single reality show out there. I mean I've never even seen an entire episode of Survivor. But I choose wisely, and when I fall, I fall fast and hard. I would assume it would be like heroin addicts that first time they taste the sweet sweet drip.

Cut to last Wednesday. I was home, doing billing, stretching, chillin' doing my thing, when an episode of So You Think You Can Dance comes on. At first I did your typical, "oh shit just another reality show..." I say this being a former hardcore, and current softcore American Idol addict. I continued to watch, and shitballs on Sunday, I kid you not, those bitches could MOVE! My friend L comes over to hang, and I'm like dood, you have GOT to watch this. So within ten minutes she was hyped, jumping up and down on the still-new-to-us-terra-cotta-80's couch, critiquing their moves, and getting as into it as I was.


On to the contestants, you have two sistahs who have bodies to DIE for. They were both toned, big-bootied, energetic, amply endowed with the breastages, and both were spoting an attitude of sex and funk. There is this nice little contestant named Benji. He served a 2-year mission for his church. I'll give you three guesses what church that may be. I first look at him (he is the West Coast Swing champion), and think nah, whatever. I then see him swing dance, and that boy moves like lightening. But then, no wait...seriously....then last night comes around. He and one of the aforementioned hot sistahs do this ass lovin', big booty, hip-hip dance that went a million miles an hour. My little Mo' Benji tore it UP! Nigel, (Simon Cowell's dance counterpart for those of you keeping track)looked at Benji after he was done and in his perfect Brittish accent said, "uhm...son, does your church know you can dance like that?"

The boy can dance, but he's got a long way to go in discovering all about his homosexuality. There was a couple last night who did the Passe Doble. My intial reaction was one of, ok, whatever, this is the classicalesque piece they need in the show. I sat on the couch watching this, with my jaw on the floor, and about 1/2 way through it, sobbing. It was one of the most amazing things I've seen.

I could go on and on, but that would bore you. Needless to say, I have a new favorite to keep me cool during those harsh warm summer month.

In other news:

Just bought a new blender. This has been coming for years now. To get our old one to work, you would have to do an incantation, bang the blender on it's side 3 times, unplug it, plug it back in to another outlet, set it upright, and sweet talk the pitcher portion of the blender.

I just finished with another fascial structural session with the woman I consider a big mentor in my bodywork. So get this, my neck hurts bad. It always does, but my icky discs were speaking to me quite loudly today. I'm in my appointment, this woman has me in my bra and underwear. The better to see one's structure, and how the different parts of the body are moving and relating to one another. She touches my belly to see how it moves, she touches my diaphragm (the one that bisects my abdomen Beige), lays me on the table, and proceeds to pick up my rectus abdominus - for those of you following along, this is the muscle in the front of your belly that goes from your pubis to your xyphoid process (which is the bottom of your breast bone). She has her fingers about an inch under my rectus, squeezes inward, picks up the fascia connecting all the way down to my pubis and proceeds to lift it about 2 inches towards my head. She follows this up with doing some cross fiber friction where that muscle attaches at the pubis, and having me rotate my pelvis so there is more of a pull. She then does some fascial release work on my diaphragm, low back, and gluts. She has me stand up, and in addition to feeling really high (I wasn't), my pelvis had shifted about one or two inches downward and out of the sway back position. I then walk around a bit, and my neck pain is all but gone. She hadn't even touched my neck yet.

The Anatomy Trains, and fascial release work fascinates the hell outta me. It does make for interesting conversation when trying to explain to a client having neck pain why you may need to work their pubis. Loves me some bodywork.

Wow, that was a long post. I better stop while I'm ahead and not feeling any neck pain, as being on the computer usually exaccerbates it. Mwah!

5 comments:

~A~ said...

I'll have to check the show out.

But you really got me thinking. A lot of my migraines I can feel from the back of my next on up, I know most, if not all, of my external triggers but I really didn't start getting whacked with migraines bad until I started having kids, which at first made me think hormone levels, but they should have semi-evened out by now. But I carried big babies, Button was the lightest at 8 lbs 4 oz, and all out front.

What's your opinion on the kids screwing up my watchamafrontcallit from yeahoo to wahzoo? Okay, I was a bit silly there, but whatcha think? Anyway, now that school is out, and life should slow down for me, I'll have to cash in that gift certificate that Rob gave me and see you. I got another certificate from Co-L's cousin who just became a LMP but I want to talk some holistic mumbo-jumbo with you first since I have that vibe that you know what you're talking about. Plus you tolerate Rob, and a person with that kind of patience has got to be fucking awesome, or a total freak and if that's the case, I'll just get a restraining order. ;)

Hope you and Ly have a great trip and happy 10th Anniversary!

xoxo

Stine said...

A - I think that there could be a muscular/fascial component to migraines. However, migraines in and of themselves are blood getting trapped in the vessels in the head. This "can be" muscular in origin, but most of the time it is a vascular issue based on the nervous system (from what I've experienced in my practice). So I think you "may" experience specific migraine relief from the work I described in my post, you also may not. But I'm of the notion that everyone should be getting their bellies worked on a regular basis. It is the goldmine of bodywork in my opinion. I do know that pregnancy can make many of those belly muscles very lax, and not support the spine as they should. Yesterday, my therapist gave me a book on spinal stabilization. I think doing some of this work would go a long way in assisting your body in having a stable base on which the ribcage, spine, and neck sit.

We can play when you come for your massage. Any other holistic mumbo jumbo you'd like to discuss, feel free to email me. You have my email right?

Stine said...

PS A - No patience, just total freak.

And this trip isn't specifically for our anniversary which is in August, but thank you for the well wishes.

~A~ said...

*LOL* Well have a fun trip anyway.

I'm at a point where modern medicine and herbal medicine doesn't fix the problem, only help when an attack happens, and I'm frustrated. My doctor, as wonderful as he is and competent in migraines doesn't always touch every aspect and I'm afraid of chiropractors. Having weeded out chemistry part of it, trying to reduce stressers (unfortunately I can't just ditch the kids on the side of the road) and I know there's nothing I can do about weather changes, but I think there has to be something in my muscular system. Shit, years of carrying heavy crap in the Army, some hard falls from high places and then totting kids from here to there, and the hiking, I must be doing a doozy to my body. So massage seems like a safe approach. What I'm looking for is either a yes this could be or no it's not, so I can try looking else where or just resolve that I'm going to have to suck it up and keep going with the migraines.

Speaking of, each kid is trying to become an only child. I think I have your email. If not I'll get it from Rob.

Thanks.

Missuz J said...

I totally get the blender thing. My dishwasher is in such a state (and i REFUSE to quit using it)that I have to give it a reach around before it will do a damn thing.

Must watch the dancing--found myself a bit into the celebrity dancing show last year.

XOXOXOXO