Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ground Control to Major Tom

I am here at the chiropractor's. Today is my last Saturday working here. I will now be here only Mondays and Fridays. So I will be doing massage 4 days a week, with an occasional massage at my house on Saturdays. I thought about feeling bad about this for a bit, but then I remembered that I am a people pleasing kiss-ass who always thinks she needs to be doing "something". My body will thank me.

Ly's birthday is this coming Tuesday. Tomorrow we are having a little fete at our place. Just a few close friends, some good eats, much relaxation and carousing. Ly and I were gonna cook, but work has run away with both of us, and neither of us has the energy to do up the Asian feast we were originally planning. So I think we're going to order out. Does that suck? Does it totally ruin our quasi-urban-hippie-eastern-Buddhist chic? Any ideas on party games that would totally embarass Lyam, and make him feel old? Some that I came up with are:

Blindfolded Twister
Strip Super Scrabble
Prostate Massage in 5 easy steps
Who's the biggest fag in the room?

I saw my friend M and her new 6 week old baby yesterday. We used to work together at the massage school. The little one is SO cute. I love massaging little babies backs and bellies. They have so few conscious restrictions to how their bodies experience any sort of bodywork, it's very refreshing. I find that little babies really love cranialsacral work. They especially like it while they are still in-utero. I will put my hands on the mother's belly, listen for the cranial rhythm, and within moments the little one is grooving to the cranial rhythm and doing backflips. Of course, this sometimes pisses off the mother, but what are you gonna do?

So I am very happy with what I bought Ly for his birthday. He has 2 presents coming, one at his party tomorrow, and the best one coming Tuesday on his actual birthday. He's gonna be happy, and he's gonna be a monster. That's all I will say.

Been reading a book called Certain Women, by Madelaine L'Engle. She is the author of my all time favorite children's book A Wrinkle in Time. It's about actors, about men, about the bible (strangely enough), and about trust in oneself and others. Very interesting. I must talk to my friend R, who sent me this book a few months ago.

Still trying to plan something for the old man's and my 10th anniversary in August? Anyone been to the San Juans? Which one would you recommend? Any experience with inexpensive yet elegant bed and breakfasts? I heard a bed and breakfast horror story the other day. A friend of mine, went to Orcas Island, stayed in a bed and breakfast with Cathy Bates in Misery. My friend was woken up at 5am in the morning as she slept on the couch, by aforementioned psycho lady. The hostess was screaming at her inquiring as to whether my friend and her counterparts had invited people over the previous night, partied, and totally messed up the place. My friend and her people had come home from their job (they were doing a temporary catering gig), had a few beers (there were like 6 of them), and then gone to bed. And here this bitch is at 5 in the morning interrogating my friend. I would have got up, politely said "please shut the fuck up", and stuck my fist where the sun don't shine.

So I don't want to stay there. But Ly and I NEED to get away from the city for our anniversary. Any ideas and thoughts would be welcome.

Last night we watched a movie called "Trouble Every Day". I swear to God, my friggin husband and his penchant for artsy horror shock flicks. It's a damn good thing I was as adjusted as I was, or I would have had an infarction. The movie's going along fine, very interesting interpersonal drama, two people start having sex, and then the bitch eats this guy's face off. Yes, it's true. I immediately covered my eyes of course, but I hear her giggling with glee as I decide to take a look, and see a piece of the dude's lip hanging from her gullet. WTF? My God, WHY? WHY?

And on that note, on to my next client.

6 comments:

amandak said...

Saturdays off, sounds good. Got to take care of that (super hot) body of yours. Don't know why I missed this post over the weekend. I'm going to blame it on Boo's Blogrolling, or lack thereof. Have a fabulous official birthday celebration! Love you!

NME said...

Face eating? I think that automatically qualifies a film for an Oscar nod.

Missuz J said...

Movie--yikes!
Book--must get my hands on it
B&Bs--Tend to avoid them as I always feel like I'm crashing someone's pad

XO

JJisafool said...

I think I've developed a Lyam rule. I'll listen to what he suggests (been working through some stuff he mentioned on my blog a while back) but will carefully vet all film recs (I'm not nearly well-adjusted as you).

word ver ocamokh - say it, it's fun

thelyamhound said...

Believe me, even my desensitized eyes tried desperately to turn away during the flesh-eating scenes in this film. It was less how gory everything was (tame compared to some horror flicks I've seen) than it was the chillingly matter-of-fact way in which it was shot (the film was directed by Claire Denis).

That said, while I value being sensitive, I see no benefit to being sensitized. As such, I'm aware that my tolerance for screen gore exceeds that of most rational beings. I DO usually warn people when I know I'm recommending something fucked up, so the only thing you have to be cautious about in the absence of such a warning is terminal weirdness (accessibility in film, like listenability in music, is something I've become too aesthetically calloused to recognize).

Stine said...

JJ, I have a whole book of Lyam rules, let me know if you wanna borrow the cliff notes.

B, I highly suggest the book, lots to think about for ex-mo girls.

A, this bod will be even better after you and your yoga get ahold of it.

NME, very funny.