Thursday, August 31, 2006

Stream of consciousness post

So I just came home from the Kingfish Cafe here on 19th Avenue East. For our 10th anniversary, we got a $50 gift certificate. For those of you who do not know what the Kingfish is, please see here: They don't have a website

I was gonna order the bbq ribs, but they were SO outta them? I'm like shit, I really wanted pig, but reluctantly keep looking. Ly hones right in on the ribeye steak with grilled portabello mushrooms on it. The waitress comes, we start the order, and then the waitress apologizes and says they are out of the ribs. Well fuck it I say. I finally decide on the very dainty crabcakes meal. In the meantime, we entertain ourselves by ordering a mint julep for Ly, and a mojito for me. Ly's drink tasted like butter. Seriously, that fantastic white toasty foam that sometimes gets on the top of the butter - that's what his drink tasted like. He took three sips and was t.o.a.s.t. I wasn't fairing much better with the marathon mojito in a jar. But damn it was tasty. I coulda drank that shit all night.

Dinner comes, and it's delightful. Ly's stake made my nipples turn to Worchestershire sauce upon tasting. Yum! There was uninterrupted silence for about 10 minutes straight while we devoured our meals. We traded bites every three or four bites, as ya do.

We both ended up pretty silly from just one drink (damn we are cheap dates). So to sober up, we ordered two B&Bs and one order of strawberry shortcake. I'm already tipsy at this point, and the waitress says, "did you want those as a shot, or do you want the beautiful?" I'm like, what? I told the waitress I had no idea what beautiful meant, but I held my hand up like I was grasping a very delicate brandy glass, and the swished it around in a circle. She looked at me like the big fucking white girl I am, and said, "you want it beautiful". To which I replied, "honey, I always want it beautiful..." She laughed at us both, and went to get our drinks. Then the shortcake comes, and it's the size of my microwave back home. I mean this was 2 damn pounds of southern-goodness-shortbread-biscuit-mother fucking shortcake. After about 4 bites of that, my brandy, I start to get really talky. You know how Lyam, JJ, Beige, and Rob get "thinky"? Well I was getting "talky". So we paid the check and left.

We came home from dinner, and Celebrity Duets was on and we totally saw Lucy Lawless do a duet with Smokey Robinson of "OOO Baby..." (that's as much as I know the title), and guess who just got done - Friggin Randy Travis and Cheech! Cheech singing "Diggin' up bones". What is up WITH THAT? Weird. Please know I've never watched this show before. We just turned it on to be background noise while we got shit done for tomorrow i.e. dishes, doing a load of sheets (when am I NOT?), entering checks into a spreadsheet etc. Anyway, funny, yeah?

Ok, that was all really. There might be more in there somewhere. Wait, Cheech, Lea Thompson, Lucy Lawlass all got into the next round on Celebrity Duets. Fuck I love reality TV.

So I'm in here typing this post here, and I come across this headline: Is Travolta a pansy?What the fuck? Is the world really that concerned? And fer crisssakes, couldn't it just be a friend? A friendly little peck to say, "thank you for shuttling me around in one of my million dollar jets..."

Do we have NOTHING better to contemplate? I just read an article in the latest GQ - with Clive Owen on the cover thank. you. very. much. It was an article about the guy who turned in the pictures from Abu Ghirab prison. Man, his life must be hell. How would it feel to have that many people hate you? Because that's what he said happened. He hasn't been able to go home again. His wife was acosted, his family turned against him. That's some balls people.


And...I'm out.

Fin.

2 comments:

thelyamhound said...

Dinner was truly divine. The mint julep might be my new summer drink (I haven't really been working the greyhound this summer like had been last year, anyway). And I literally can't remember the last time I had someone cood a steak for me. The sweet potato fries really made it for me, though. I love sweet potatoes, and I love things that have been deep fried and covered with salt, so it was pretty much a guaranteed home run.

I've decided, though, that while it's sort of fun to drink brandy, I'm really not a brandy drinker. I guess you don't really know 'til you know . . .

amandak said...

Ooohhh, Kingfish, yummmmyyy.

I love your stream of consciousness posts, it feels kindof like I get to crawl inside your head and cozy up a bit. And, well, I like it there.